Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Some poetry....

"If you have time to chatter
read books
If you have time to read
walk into mountain, desert and ocean
If you have time to walk
sing songs and dance
If you have time to dance
Sit quietly, you happy lucky idiot"
-Nanao Sakaki

HEIGHTS OF FOLLY

"O crows circling over my head and cawing!
I admit to being, at times,
Suddenly, and without the slightest warning.
Exceedingly happy.

On a morning otherwise sunless,
Strolling arm in arm
Past some gallows-shaped trees
With my dear Helen,
Who is also a strange bird.

A feeling of being summoned
Urgently, but by a most gracious invitation
To breakfast on slices of watermelon
In the company of naked gods and goddesses
On a patch of last night's snow."
-Charles Simic

THE NEGRO SPEAKS OF RIVERS

"I've known rivers:
I've known rivers ancient as the world and older than the flow of human blood in human veins.

My soul has grown deep like the rivers.

I bathed in the Euphrates when dawns were young.
I built my hut near the Congo and it lulled me to sleep.
I looked upon the Nile and raised the pyramids above it.
I heard the singing of the Mississippi when Abe Lincoln
went down to New Orleans, and I've seen it's muddy
bosom turn all golden in the sunset.

I've known rivers:
Ancient, dusky rivers.

My soul has grown deep like the rivers."
-Langston Hughes

No comments: